Did you know that…
- …butterflies taste with their feet? Magic!
- …a chicken’s left leg is more tender than the right
leg? Chickens tend to use their right leg more and this movement builds up
muscle which makes the meat tougher.
- …popcorning is the name for those crazy leaps guinea
pigs do in the air when they’re happy? Maybe it’s called that because watching
it is so entertaining, you start craving popcorn immediately, ha ha?
- …pets are so much part of our families that 7 out of 10 people sign their pets’ names on greeting cards and Christmas cards?
- …goldfish lose their pretty shiny colour when they are kept in the dark? Just like humans, they need to be exposed to some natural sunlight for that healthy glow ;-)).
- …otters hold hands when they sleep? Isn’t that the cutest thing ever?!
- …worms communicate by snuggling? Maybe we should follow their lead and snuggle more often?
- …there are more than 200 million insects for each human on the planet? A thought that makes your skin crawl, or maybe that’s just me?
- …’kaninhoppning’ is a thing in Sweden? It’s actually a rabbit show-jumping competition. Too cute! It’s off to Sweden we go!
- …there are lions who can eat more than 50 times a day? We’re happy to give that a try… with sushi of course!
- …that flamingos need to eat with their heads upside down? Now you won’t be caught off guard next time you go to the zoo.
- …dogs dream? Small dogs seem to dream more than larger dogs. Involuntary movements and barking sounds while sleeping indicate that your dog is dreaming.
- …a snail can sleep for three years? That’s what we call hibernating.
- …gentoo penguins also use a ‘rock’ to seal the deal with the lady of their choice? When a male penguin gives a female penguin the perfect pebble, it’s a really big deal in penguin world.
- …polar bears are the only mammals that have hair on the soles of their feet? These tufts of fur can help keep the bear from slipping on the ice.
- …a female oyster can produce up to 100 million eggs at a time? O-n-e-h-u-n-d-r-e-d-m-i-l-l-i-o-n!
- …penguins can jump up to 2 meters high! Does this also conjure up a picture in your mind of a penguin showing off his dance moves, lol?
- …a blue whale weighs about as much as a Boeing 747 ready for take-off? Its tongue alone weighs around 2 tonnes, which is more than an adult elephant.
- …cats have a paw
preference? Female cats are more likely to show right-paw preference while
tomcats often show a left-paw preference.